The California State University (CSU) has selected 23 students, one from each university, to receive the 2022 Trustees’ Award for Outstanding Achievement. The students will be honored for their talent, diligence and zeal during a ceremony as part of the CSU Board of Trustees meeting on Tuesday, September 13.
The CSU Trustees’ Award is the university’s highest recognition of student achievement. Each award provides a donor-funded scholarship to students who demonstrate superior academic performance, personal accomplishments, community service and inspirational goals for the future. The awardees have demonstrated a deep commitment to making a positive impact on their generation, as well as those who come after them.
“These 23 remarkable scholars wonderfully exemplify the ideals of the California State University,” said CSU Interim Chancellor Jolene Koester. “Their inspirational stories are connected by a common thread of intelligence, perseverance, resilience and the transformative power of higher education. Our communities, state and nation—indeed, our world—will long reap the benefits of their academic, professional and personal achievement.”
More than 420 students have been honored with the Trustees’ Award since the scholarship program was established in 1984 by the William Randolph Hearst Foundation. In 1999, the Hearst Foundation partnered with the CSU Board of Trustees to supplement the endowment with contributions from CSU Trustees, CSU Foundation board members and private donors. The 23 scholarships awarded this year will total more than $180,000 in scholarship funds. Each student scholarship bears the name of a donor.
Ali C. Razi, a CSU Trustee Emeritus who serves on the CSU Foundation Board of Governors, endowed a scholarship fund to recognize the top CSU Trustees’ Award recipient annually. Cal State Long Beach student Nevi Keser Gruskin was named this year’s Trustee Emeritus Ali C. Razi Scholar and will receive a $17,000 scholarship.
The awardees will be recognized for their superior achievements during the Committee on Institutional Advancement portion of the September 13 CSU Board of Trustees meeting, with a special reception to follow.
Visit the CSU Trustees’ Award for Outstanding Achievement website for bios on all 23 scholars as well as donor information.
The 2022 CSU Trustees’ Scholars are:
- Lesley Bode, Cal Poly HumboldtTrustee Emerita Debra Farar Scholar
- Kenya Janae Burton, Sacramento StateChancellor Emeritus Charles B. and Catherine Reed Scholar
- Serina Cabrera, Sonoma StateTrustee Emeritus Murray L. Galinson Scholar
- Chamese Dempsey, San Diego StateStauffer Foundation Scholar
- Ome Garcia, San José StateTrustee Emeritus William Hauck and Padget Kaiser Scholar
- Nevi Keser Gruskin, Cal State Long BeachTrustee Emeritus Ali C. Razi Scholar
- Isaiah Armond Jamal Henderson, Chico StateChancellor Emeritus Timothy P. White Scholar
- Dylan Gunner Jones, CSU BakersfieldWilliam Randolph Hearst Scholar
- Breana Lewis, Cal State East BayTrustee Emeritus Peter Taylor Scholar
- Miquelle McCarthy, Cal State LAMichael A. and Debe Lucki Scholar
- Dawoud Mishal, CSUNWilliam Randolph Hearst Scholar
- Chiefe Mo, Cal Poly PomonaTrustee Wenda Fong and Daniel Fetterly Scholar
- Jeffrey Mueller, Cal MaritimeTrustee Jack McGrory Scholar
- Daisy Morado Navarrete, CSU Channel IslandsTELACU Scholar
- Samantha Patricia Navarro, Fresno StateTrustee Emeritus Peter Mehas Scholar
- Nghia Trong Phan, Cal State FullertonSouthern California Edison Scholar
- Jeisson Pulido, CSU Dominguez HillsRon and Mitzi Barhorst Scholar
- Lisamarie Raimondo, Stanislaus StateWilliam Randolph Hearst Scholar
- Johnathan Rodney, CSU San MarcosTrustee Emeritus Kenneth Fong Scholar
- manmit Singh, San Francisco StateWilliam Randolph Hearst Scholar
- Misealle Louise Tolliver, Cal State San BernardinoSteinhauser Family Scholar
- Nathalie R. Zamora Vigil, Cal Poly San Luis ObispoWilliam Randolph Hearst Scholar
- Spencer Hart Winter, CSU Monterey BayTrustee Emerita Claudia H. Hampton Scholar